View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 20:12

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Best Descent 1 + 2 source port 
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Post Best Descent 1 + 2 source port
For all who are still in doubt which Descent source port is the best, I'll just let (mostly) images speak for themselves:

You don't think that this

(D2X-Rebirth)

looks better than that, do you?

(click on images for enlarged views)

(D2X-XL using high res textures, light coronas, colored light, lightmaps)

Not convinced?

How about that then:

(D2X-XL using light maps and per pixel lighting)

Need more?

How about a headlight that deserves the name:

Image Image

Want effects?

Have some lightning ...

... and smoke, too!

(Click on image for larger view)

Graphics aren't everything.

Take some new HUD elements to aid you in killing those pesky robots ... or annoying multiplayer opponents ...

D2X-XL's got fully 3D, hires textured powerup models, too:

Image Image

Well, what's gameplay without levels to play?

Get some outdoors with D2X-XL's humongous 6000 segment level size limit:

Image Image

And some indoors too:

Want to know where you are?

Try D2X-XL's fully textured and lit automap:

(click for large image)

Still disoriented?

Maybe adding the wireframe will help:

Want new textures, robots, AI, sounds and music?

Try D2X-XL's modding support, like here with DarkFlameWolf's Quake-Descent 1 mod

or Pumo's total conversion demo 'The Kartsal Motivation'

Want a new game, but it has to be Descent?

No frets, D2X-XL has it all: Levels, robots, AI, sounds, textures - the full Descent 1 experience.

You're rather into multiplayer?

Hop into games as easy as never using D2X-XL's UDP/IP networking and game tracker support.

Bored with playing anarchy all the time?

There's good news for you: D2X-XL offers new game modes, like Monsterball, Entropy or a full blown CTF mode that works as it should and isn't as half baked as the original implementation. Play team games using team owned multiplayer spawn points and spawn areas instead of spawning randomly in the level - just the way it should be.

Can't find that mission on your HD anymore you loved so much?

With D2X-XL you can sort your missions neatly into subfolders - that's better than having 1000 missions to search through in the game's mission browser, isn't it?

Need a new challenge?

Crank up robot AI and use the improved hit detection to show how good you really are.

For the meticulous perfectionists: D2X-XL fixes a lot of inconsistencies and right out bugs in the original game, like flaws in Fusion hit detection and collision detection flaws.

For the music lovers: D2X-XL supports global and per mission playlists and music (OGG). Play your favorite songs with each mission!

Yeah, you can even turn off all the color and effects glory and play vanilla Descent in all its pixelated ugliness - D2X-XL allows that, too. The improved memory and texture management make it run on all but the lowliest machines (which would probably best be equipped with Win98 and the original Descent for DOS if you're so much into the "good old days" ...)

I will stop here. I am so high up on D2X-XL's feature stack already that I cannot even see any other Descent version anymore deep below me on the ground and still could go on and on. If you really want to get your ass in the know about D2X-XL, read my worklog on http://www.descent2.de.

Ok, there's bad news, too. You will have to rearrange a few files into subfolders (if that's too much for you, you probably shouldn't own a computer :P). The reward will be that you will easily find all your new stuff to play with in D2X-XL. 8-)

Last edited by karx11erx on 30 Apr 2009, 12:40, edited 3 times in total.

27 Apr 2009, 15:16
Profile ICQ WWW
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Excellent way to expose all features of D2X-XL! :clap:

D2X-XL is already completely awesome, but by reading your post it makes it somehow even better!! You make it sound really mouth-watering, and makes me feel that emotion of a new game you just recently bought and was expecting to have (like the first time i had D1 Anniversary on my hands).

Everyday it passes it seems i'm more in love with D2X-XL :jump:

Excellent post! :thumb:

RAM: 8GB DDR3 1666MHZ
HDD: 2 Seagate 500GB 7200RPM SATA Drives
Video: Integrated Intel HD Graphics 2000
Sound: RealTek High Definition Audio
Display: HP 2311 23" 1080p HD LED Monitor

27 Apr 2009, 21:30
Profile WWW

Post Re: Best Descent 1 + 2 source port
karx11erx wrote:
...and play vanilla Descent in all its pixelated ugliness - D2X-XL allows that, too.

Hey, it's not ugly!! it's just a bit humble :P

Well, the truth is that i haven't played it with its original graphics in a while, and the reason is 'cause i like 'all the stuff you've added into D2X-XL ;)

But the freedom to choose between full-featured to old style is also one of the nice features on D2X-XL :)

Sooo, D2X-Rebirth is useless... Sorry @_@

28 Apr 2009, 06:19

Yeah, it depends what one is playing for I suppose. If you're playing purely for nostalgic purposes you might want the old-style graphics (which can also be replicated by XL, of course...). But I haven't had a 10-year break from the game, and the only reason I still have anything to do with it is what breathes new life into it. It can only be helped so far, but it's still over twice the game it used to be.

28 Apr 2009, 07:40
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

01 May 2009, 00:09
Profile YIM WWW

I generally don't consider anyone who can program well enough to make meaningful modifications to a 3D real-time computer game a n00b... zico's work on Rebirth, regardless of how it compares with D2X-XL, isn't something he should be ashamed of, although the time may have been better spent on something that wasn't a duplication of effort.

As for the people who use it? Well, I won't say too much about them.

01 May 2009, 05:13
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

As for the people who use it? Well, I won't say too much about them.

I read some of that on the penny arcade site link

that was some funny stuff.

01 May 2009, 05:15
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]