Page 2 of 2

Re: Crash immediately at start

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2026 5:29 am
by PuMo
Ok, just uninstalled the drivers for both GPUs with DDU, made a clean install of both with the very latest versions but still I can't get D2X-XL to run.

I even tested by completely disabling the IGPU in the UEFI/BIOS to no avail.

DirectX version keeps showing the dialog and the log with this

Code: Select all

CommandList::Flush: device removed (0x887A0007) - graphics device lost, terminating
And this is the last report and log from the Vulkan version.

Code: Select all

d2x-xl D2X-XL 2.0.0 crash report

time:      2026-10-04 23:26:52
reason:    access violation (0xC0000005)
access:    reading address 0x0000000000000000
thread:    15096
context:   shader 'modelShadowMaskRT': fragment shader library
symbols:   X:\Games\D2X-XL\d2x-xl.pdb

call stack:
  #00  amdvlk64.dll!boost::archive::detail::iserializer<sc_xml_iarchive,_SC_SI_PS_ATTR_CH_ENTRY>::load_object_data + 0x1B6BE12
  #01  amdvlk64.dll!boost::archive::detail::iserializer<sc_xml_iarchive,_SC_SI_PS_ATTR_CH_ENTRY>::load_object_data + 0x1B95F68
  #02  amdvlk64.dll!boost::archive::detail::iserializer<sc_xml_iarchive,_SC_SI_PS_ATTR_CH_ENTRY>::load_object_data + 0x1B9AC81
  #03  amdvlk64.dll!GetSettingsBlobsAll + 0x368BA
  #04  amdvlk64.dll!GetSettingsBlobsAll + 0x385C2
  #05  amdvlk64.dll+0x1B88E9
  #06  amdvlk64.dll!vk_icdNegotiateLoaderICDInterfaceVersion + 0x1B374
  #07  amdvlk64.dll!vk_icdNegotiateLoaderICDInterfaceVersion + 0x1C5D5
  #08  amdvlk64.dll+0x1CAEB9
  #09  amdvlk64.dll+0x20F8E9
  #10  vulkan-1.dll!vkResetEvent + 0x51986
  #11  d2x-xl.exe!PipelineCache::CreateLibrary  D:\Projects\Libraries\custom\rendertools\vulkan\src\pipeline_cache.cpp(629)
  #12  d2x-xl.exe!PipelineCache::FragmentShaderLibrary  D:\Projects\Libraries\custom\rendertools\vulkan\src\pipeline_cache.cpp(761)
  #13  d2x-xl.exe!PipelineCache::CreateShaderLibraries  D:\Projects\Libraries\custom\rendertools\vulkan\src\pipeline_cache.cpp(569)
  #14  d2x-xl.exe!Shader::Create  D:\Projects\Libraries\custom\rendertools\vulkan\src\shader.cpp(752)
  #15  d2x-xl.exe!BaseShaderCode::CreateShader  D:\Projects\Libraries\custom\rendertools\vulkan\src\base_shadercode.cpp(162)
  #16  d2x-xl.exe!BaseShaderCode::CreateShaders  D:\Projects\Libraries\custom\rendertools\vulkan\src\base_shadercode.cpp(117)
  #17  d2x-xl.exe!BaseShaderHandler::CreateShaders  D:\Projects\Libraries\custom\rendertools\src\base_shaderhandler.cpp(61)
  #18  d2x-xl.exe!Initialize  D:\Projects\d2x-xl\src\main\descent.cpp(738)
  #19  d2x-xl.exe!RunApplication  D:\Projects\d2x-xl\src\main\descent.cpp(927)
  #20  d2x-xl.exe!main_getcmdline  C:\temp\SDL2-2.32.10\src\main\windows\SDL_windows_main.c(80)
  #21  d2x-xl.exe!invoke_main  D:\a\_work\1\s\src\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl(102)
  #22  d2x-xl.exe!__scrt_common_main_seh  D:\a\_work\1\s\src\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl(288)
  #23  KERNEL32.DLL!BaseThreadInitThunk + 0x16
  #24  ntdll.dll!RtlUserThreadStart + 0x2B

Code: Select all

+++ Memory access violation
Could be an issue with older AMD GPUs? I don't know if other of the beta testers around here that can make it run are using nVidia or AMD and which model.

Re: Crash immediately at start

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2026 10:48 am
by Adminion
The weird thing is that the crash occurs with both gfx apis, which do things sufficiently different to not both cause the same problem, which seems to be raytracing related. I will provide a game version with a command line switch "raytracing", "raytracing 0" will turn all raytracing code completely off. Let's hope that will help and you can run d2x-xl 2.0. Raytracing doesn't really give you too much, it's more of a gimmick than a massive improvement as far as I can tell, D2X-XL is not Cyberpunk with reflections and what not. The setting below raytracing still gives you per pixel light and shadows. The biggest benefit of raytracing seems to be even faster lightmap calculation, but your system should handle that well without it.

Re: Crash immediately at start

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2026 4:36 am
by PuMo
Finally! with raytracing 0 in my .ini file I'm now able to run it! :bounce: :bounce:

Found a good bunch of bugs here and there, but at least I can play it. :mrgreen:
I will post about those bugs later in their respective topics, hopefully I may get some time to test and report them toroughly on next weekend.

Re: Crash immediately at start

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2026 10:45 am
by Adminion
You found bugs? :shock: Impossible! :roll:

Re: Crash immediately at start

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2026 7:20 am
by Adminion
Waiting for your bug reports ... :)

Re: Crash immediately at start

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2026 6:57 pm
by PuMo
There are a couple here and there, mainly visual but I want to report them properly, with details, screencaps, etc. Will try to make some time to post about them on Friday or Saturday, having kind of a busy week at job.

Re: Crash immediately at start

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2026 7:16 pm
by Adminion
Ok, thanks for the update.