The game loaded but was very hitchy (I left everything as defaults on graphics settings) and when I shot a couple missiles at a bot on level 1, got black screen. The game didnt full crash I was able to do the menus but the world was black
Rig: Ryzen 7 5800x3D, 32 GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM, RTX 3080 12GB Windows 11
Black screen
-
Descentmax7930
- Posts: 13
- Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2026 11:07 pm
Black screen
- Attachments
-
- Screenshot 2026-10-03 223603.png (96.76 KiB) Viewed 364 times
-
Descentmax7930
- Posts: 13
- Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2026 11:07 pm
Re: Black screen
Update: I updated my graphics drivers and it didnt go black this time, but I got a crash when loading level 2. Says Lost Graphics Device! I checked the Log folder but nothing was in it so here is the d2x.log file
Code: Select all
reading lightmaps from 'descent2-1.21l-hw.lmap'
lightmap atlas usage: quality 2, 12 texels/wu, 401 tiles (13 at the 1024 texel cap)
528 empty tiles left out
net 60151701 texels, padded 61319857 (+1.9%)
5 atlases of 16777216 texels, 2 layers = 640.0 MB
used 71.7% net, 73.1% with padding - 5 pages, 4 is the minimum for these tiles
tiles by longer edge: <=4 0, 8 0, 16 0, 32 0, 64 0, 128 4, 256 157, 512 102, 1024 138, >1024 0
lightmap atlas usage: quality 2, 12 texels/wu, 582 tiles (15 at the 1024 texel cap)
347 empty tiles left out
net 77255064 texels, padded 78864708 (+2.1%)
6 atlases of 16777216 texels, 1 layers = 384.0 MB
used 76.7% net, 78.3% with padding - 6 pages, 5 is the minimum for these tiles
tiles by longer edge: <=4 0, 8 0, 16 0, 32 0, 64 0, 128 4, 256 222, 512 190, 1024 166, >1024 0
lightmap atlas usage: quality 2, 3 texels/wu, 929 tiles (50 at the 256 texel cap)
net 7775715 texels, padded 8435423 (+8.5%)
10 atlases of 1048576 texels, 1 layers = 40.0 MB
used 74.2% net, 80.4% with padding - 10 pages, 9 is the minimum for these tiles
tiles by longer edge: <=4 0, 8 0, 16 0, 32 4, 64 372, 128 297, 256 256, 512 0, 1024 0, >1024 0
model textures: 'ASE model 108 texture 0' has no size
model textures: 'ASE model 127 texture 1' has no size
model textures: 'ASE model 133 texture 1' has no size
model textures: 'ASE model 134 texture 1' has no size
model textures: 'ASE model 135 texture 1' has no size
model textures: 'ASE model 136 texture 1' has no size
model textures: 'ASE model 137 texture 1' has no size
model textures: 'ASE model 142 texture 1' has no size
model textures: 'ASE model 151 texture 1' has no size
model textures: 'ASE model 152 texture 1' has no size
model textures: 'ASE model 153 texture 1' has no size
model textures: 'ASE model 154 texture 1' has no size
model textures: 'ASE model 158 texture 1' has no size
model textures: 'ASE model 160 texture 1' has no size
model textures: 'ASE model 161 texture 1' has no size
model textures: 'ASE model 162 texture 1' has no size
model textures: 'ASE model 163 texture 1' has no size
model textures: 'ASE model 165 texture 1' has no size
no lightmap file for this level - baking
lightmap atlas usage: quality 2, 3 texels/wu, 1801 tiles (71 at the 256 texel cap)
net 13349554 texels, padded 14595794 (+9.3%)
16 atlases of 1048576 texels, 1 layers = 64.0 MB
used 79.6% net, 87.0% with padding - 16 pages, 14 is the minimum for these tiles
tiles by longer edge: <=4 0, 8 0, 16 0, 32 0, 64 714, 128 511, 256 576, 512 0, 1024 0, >1024 0
lightmap atlas usage: quality 2, 12 texels/wu, 1801 tiles (71 at the 1024 texel cap)
net 212260543 texels, padded 217144555 (+2.3%)
15 atlases of 16777216 texels, 1 layers = 960.0 MB
used 84.3% net, 86.3% with padding - 15 pages, 13 is the minimum for these tiles
tiles by longer edge: <=4 0, 8 0, 16 0, 32 0, 64 0, 128 0, 256 714, 512 511, 1024 576, >1024 0
lightmap atlas usage: quality 2, 12 texels/wu, 1447 tiles (70 at the 1024 texel cap)
354 empty tiles left out
net 186280292 texels, padded 190405676 (+2.2%)
13 atlases of 16777216 texels, 2 layers = 1664.0 MB
used 85.4% net, 87.3% with padding - 13 pages, 12 is the minimum for these tiles
tiles by longer edge: <=4 0, 8 0, 16 0, 32 0, 64 0, 128 0, 256 539, 512 362, 1024 546, >1024 0
-
Descentmax7930
- Posts: 13
- Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2026 11:07 pm
Re: Black screen
So it seems this is at random times. Sometimes it loads sometimes it doesnt
Re: Black screen
In most cases the message means you ran out of VRAM. You were using ultra lightmap quality. You need to reduce that to high. That's lined out in the tester's hints thread in this forum. Please read the stuff I post, it's not much, and it saves both of us time.
This is a classic.
Game dev: You don't need ultra, and if your game crashes, turn it down.
Player: Heck, I'll try it anyway, and why read all that bollox, I want to play!
Yeah. Stuff like that makes me remove all options until only those settings are left I consider viable and which cause the least amount of work for me.
This is a classic.
Game dev: You don't need ultra, and if your game crashes, turn it down.
Player: Heck, I'll try it anyway, and why read all that bollox, I want to play!
Yeah. Stuff like that makes me remove all options until only those settings are left I consider viable and which cause the least amount of work for me.
-
Descentmax7930
- Posts: 13
- Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2026 11:07 pm
Re: Black screen
Weird I don’t recall setting it to ultra. I must have changed it by mistake
-
Descentmax7930
- Posts: 13
- Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2026 11:07 pm
Re: Black screen
I didn’t intentionally change it to ultra I was browsing stuff to see what all was there because I couldn’t remember yikes.
Re: Black screen
No problem. Maybe it was set to that in default.plx, or for some reason d2x-xl defaulted to it when loading a pre 2.0 player file. I will check this in the code, shouldn't happen.
The "classic" still holds true, but not for you. Sorry for blaming you for it.
The "classic" still holds true, but not for you. Sorry for blaming you for it.
